Fundamentals of Medical Billing & Coding
Gainful Employment Disclosures - Fundamentals of Medical Billing and Coding
This certification prepares students to assume entry level medical office duties and responsibilities. It also prepares students for career advancement and training in the use of current computer application programs, medical/hospital billing procedures and medical records procedures. The program provides basic skills that promote success in the workplace. Typical entry level positions include medical clerk, medical coder, medical office assistant, billing clerk and medical office staff
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion, students will be able to:
- Analyze medical language and component parts.
- Apply medical language to discussion of treatment of common diseased and injuries.
- Apply legal guidelines as they relate to health care situations including privacy, confidentiality and safety.
- Demonstrate the ability to minimize cultural conflict in the health care setting.
- Demonstrate understanding of the variation, complexity and ethical principles of the health care provider role in direct and indirect patient care settings.
- Demonstrate workplace traits that promote professional responses to patients, families, colleagues and other members of the healthcare system in simulated settings.
- Provide hands-on introduction to Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint. Students gain basic knowledge necessary for using computers and becoming computer literate.
- Demonstrate proficiency in administrative medical office procedures applicable to medical office setting.
- Demonstrate interpersonal communication skills applicable to medical office administration.
CAOT 82 Microcomputer Software Survey (3 Units)
CAOT 20 Medical Office Procedures (5 Units)
CAOT 33 Records Management & Filing (2 Units)
CAOT 126 Introduction to Medical/Coding/Billing (3 Units)
Hlth Occ 63 Basic Medical Terminology, Pathophysiology, and Pharmacology (2 Units)
Hlth Occ 64 Cultural & Legal Topics for Healthcare Professionals (1 Unit)
Hlth Occ 65 Fundamentals for the Healthcare Professional (2.5 Units)
Total Units: 18.5