Frequently Asked Questions
What exactly is TRiO/SSS?
TRiO/Student Support Services is a federally funded grant program at LAMC. Therefore, in addition to LAMC policies, TRiO/ SSS is subject to federal legislation and regulations. It is a transfer program that is fit to serve 160 students.
What are the eligibility requirements?
All applicants must meet at least one of the following eligibility requirements prior to acceptance into the program:
- First Generation - neither parent/guardian received a baccalaureate degree
- Low Income - federal low income levels can be found online with the US Dept. of Education.
- Disability - student must be registered with LAMC DSPS Office or provide proper documentation.
What else are we looking for in a student?
It is required that each applicant:
- Plans to complete a degree at LAMC
- Plans to transfer after completing a degree
- Enrolled in at least 6 units
- Has a college GPA of 2.0 or better
Although TRiO/SSS is designed as an extra support system to students, participants in the program must possess a strong desire to not only attend college but to be a successful student and complete their program. The ideal student possesses the drive to succeed but is still able to benefit from the services that TRiO/SSS provides.
What does TRiO/SSS provide?
- Academic, financial aid, and transfer advising
- One-on-one tutoring
- Visits to four-year colleges and universities
- Cultural and educational trips/events
- Academic, career, financial and transfer workshops
How do I apply?
Please stop by our office located in the Learning Resource Center (LRC) in room 130 to pick up an application or you can also apply online by clicking here.
What happens after I apply?
Program staff will verify your eligibility and you will receive either a phone call or email to schedule an intake appointment. You may be asked to provide additional documentation to bring to your intake appointment.
During the intake appointment, you will learn about the services offered, how the program works, and you will meet with either the Director or Advisor to complete a personal Educational Plan and Goals.
What is expected of me as a participant?
Participants must have 3 contacts with TRiO/SSS each semester and take advantage of services and/or events if they are to continue in the program. This includes receiving tutoring, academic or transfer advising, assistance with financial aid, attending workshops, etc.