Our Student Athletes: First in the classroom
on the field
Mission College fields competitive teams
in mens baseball, womens softball, and mens and
womens soccer. Our athletes know that academic achievement
comes first...and that accomplishments on the field go hand-in-hand
with success in the classroom. Mission College is a proud member
the Western State Conference, one of the most competitive athletic
alliances in the state.
We invite all new students to join the many men
and women who proudly represent Mission College in competitive sports.
If you are not yet enrolled at Mission College and have questions
about the athletics program, please contact the Athletic Director
or the coach of the sport that you favor.
As is the primary mission of the college in general, the Division of Athletics also strives to serve students as part of the student's general education and equip the student for success in higher education, employment and citizenship skills. This division also recognizes a commitment to the student's success in overall well-being. Our division also recognizes our accountability and professional commitment toward this important responsibility.
Specifically, through the vehicle of athletics, we strive for the following goals:
- Provide an environment that emphasizes the physical as a component of the individual, and in so doing provides a holistic learning experience. We recognize that the physical component of our division is unique and allows for a different type of learning experience.
- Enhance student health and welfare.
- Provide support and guidance in academic progress.
- Conduct our programs ethically and promote ethical conduct in the student.
- Provide a forum for amateur athletes as part of the educational experience.
- Create an environment in which the student will strive to excel in athletics
- Create an environment in which the student will choose a lifestyle of fitness and overall healthy habits.
- Provide equal opportunity for students of diversity.
- Improve the fitness and health of the student.
Vision and Philosophy
The goal of the L.A. Mission College Athletic Department is to maintain a balance between academic progress and athletic participation. Each athlete is expected to perform to his or her ability level in the classroom, as well as during athletic participation. Student-athletes who continue to meet the Athletic and Academic Standards of the California Community College Athletic Association and the L.A. Mission College Athletic Department will be allowed to represent L.A. Mission College in Intercollegiate Athletic participation. Furthermore, when conflicts arise between the academic requirements of a student athlete and the intercollegiate athletic program that cannot be resolved through the school policy or excused absences for athletic contest participation, the academic requirements will take precedent.