Contact the Child and Family Studies Department
Center for Child Development Studies
13356 Eldridge Avenue
Sylmar, CA 91342
Email Us [link to email@example.com
Associate of Arts for Transfer (AA-T) in Elementary Teacher Education
The program in Elementary Education leads to an Associate of Arts in Elementary Teacher Education, and includes coursework that is transferable to CSU/UC. This AA-T degree consists of a three pronged interdisciplinary approach to prepare students who have a goal of becoming a teacher, from transitional kindergarten (TK) through sixth grade.
Students gain knowledge from coursework in the following disciplines: Child development, education, and general education. Students gain first-hand experience of the teaching profession early in their undergraduate careers.
DID YOU KNOW?
- There is a critical shortage of teachers?
- There are 43,000 teacher vacancies advertised throughout California (L.A. Times, Feb. 2016)
- The average elementary school teacher has a starting salary of $53,760 per year (Bureau of Labors Statistics)
ELEMENTARY TEACHER EDUCATION AA-T
Is a strong foundation for careers in:
- Transitional kindergarten (TK) teacher
- Kindergarten teacher
- Elementary school teacher
- Special education teacher,
- Administrative/ leadership positions in elementary schools.
For more information about the Elementary Education program, contact Veronica Allen, Assistant Professor, Education/Child Development, 818.364.7809.
You can also contact Janice Silver, Child and Family Studies Department Chair, 818.364.7714.
Applying to the Program
- Apply online to be an LAMC student, by visiting: www.laccd.edu/Students/openccapply
- Get assessed for English and math and attend an orientation: www.laccd.edu/assessment
- Meet with a counselor to establish your academic goals: www.lamission.edu/counseling
- Register for courses: www.lamission.edu/admissions/registration
- Visit the transfer center and meet with a transfer or career counselor: www.lamission.edu/transfercenter