Choose which Tutoring Lab Policy to review:
English Success Center Policy
English Success Center offers many options for tutoring: Directed Learning Activities, scheduled appointments, walk-in tutoring, group tutoring, and workshops. These services are offered free of charge, on a first-come, first-served basis as availability permits. To use the tutoring services, students must be enrolled in the current semester and provide a valid student ID number. Students must LOGIN and LOG OUT for the session and sign a completed “Tutoring Agreement” form.
Directed Learning Activities
- Instructors may ask students to visit the Writing Lab to complete one or more of our Directed Learning Activities. These assignments are designed for students to work on independently in our Writing Lab or Learning Lab. The tutor will show students how to access these assignments, and students will work on their own; a student may sign up for an appointment if he or she needs additional help with these assignments.
Daily Sign-Up Appointments (30 minute tutoring session)
- It is best to plan several days in advance to schedule a 30-minute appointment. Appointments are available between 11 AM and 7 PM Monday through Thursday. Students may call the office up to 24 hours in advance to reserve an appointment or access the Appointment Calendar online HERE to book an appointment for themselves. Students will need their LAMC ID number, instructor’s name, and course title and section when booking the appointment. The maximum number of appointments per week is four (4) 30-minute sessions. To cancel an appointment, call 818-364-7756 at least 24 hours in advance; otherwise, the missed session counts as a late cancel. Students are allowed two (2) late cancels and/or “no-shows” per semester. After that, they can only use walk-in tutoring services.
- The Writing Lab has limited walk-in tutoring available. A student may visit the Writing Lab to ask if a tutor has had a cancellation or an available appointment for that same day. These walk-in tutoring appointments are not guaranteed to be available.
- A group tutoring session can be requested by an instructor or group of students by contacting Marie Zaiens, the Instructional Assistant for Language Arts: 818-364-7757 or email@example.com.
WorkshopsWorkshops are presentations on specific topics that allow time for student questions. Please check the Writing Lab Workshops schedule for more details.
Science Success Center Policy
Science Success Center offers many options for tutoring: scheduled appointments, walk-in tutoring, Supplemental Instruction, study groups and workshops. These services are offered free of charge, on a first-come, first-served basis as availability permits.
Weekly Scheduled Appointments
- A student is assigned to meet with a tutor for 30 minutes every week on the same day and at the same time throughout the current semester. Students may be scheduled to share an appointment with a student in the same class, or students may request to share an appointment with a friend.
- Example: A student is assigned to meet with Jaime, a tutor, every Monday during the fall semester from 3:30 p.m. until 4:00 p.m.
Daily Sign-Up Appointments
- A student may call the office up to 24 hours in advance to reserve an appointment.
- A student may call or visit the office to ask if a tutor has an available appointment for that same day. These appointments are not guaranteed to be available at all times.
Study Groups Led by a Learning Assistant
- Study group discussion sessions will be scheduled to support students enrolled in the same class. Students may sign up to form study groups of four or six. Groups may meet once or twice a week to hash out lesson materials, explain concepts, and engage in discussions.
Workshops are presentations on specific topics that allow time for student questions.
Contact: Lilit Haroyan, the Instructional Assistant for Mathematics: 818-364-7628 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Choose which Tutoring Lab to make an appointment:
Science Success Center