Prerequisites, Corequisites and Advisories
- Prerequisite: A requirement that must be satisfied prior to enrolling in the target course.
- Corequisite: A requirement that must be taken simultaneously with the target course. In some instances, the corequisite may be satisfied before enrolling into the target course.
- Advisory: A course or condition that a student is advised (but not required) to meet prior to enrolling in the target course.
All students need to demonstrate meeting the prerequisite or corequisite requirement in order to enroll into the target course.
If the student satisfies the requirements by completing a class with a grade of "C" or better at LAMC or through the assessment process, he/she will be cleared for registering into the target course.
If the student has satisfied the prerequisite or corequisite and/or placement at another college or through another method, he/she must submit the appropriate documentation (i.e. an official transcript and/or placement results) to the counseling office located in the Instructional and Student Services Building (818) 364-7655.
Once a counselor reviews the documents and finds that the prerequisite or corequisite has been satisfied, the counselor will issue a course placement authorization form. This form, once signed by the counselor, needs to be turned into the Admissions office along with the necessary add slip by the student for processing.
Students without transcripts or other proof of meeting the specified prerequisite or corequisite but believe that they have other clear and reliable evidence that they are adequately prepared to take the target course may go through the prerequisite or corequisite challenge process.
Prerequisite or Corequisite may be challenged based on the following:
- The student has the knowledge or ability to succeed in the target course despite not meeting the prerequisite or corequisite. (Criteria for challenging based on knowledge or ability to succeed will be determined by each Academic Department.);
- The prerequisite or corequisite is not valid because it has not been established in accordance with the District's policy;
- The prerequisite or corequiste is being applied in an unlawfully discriminatory manner; and
- The prerequisite or corequisite has not been made reasonably available causing the student undo delay in completing his/her educational goal
Prerequisite Challenge Process:
1. Pick up the challenge form at the Counseling Office. It is recommended that a student seeking to go through the challenge process meet with a counselor to discuss the process in further detail.
2. All challenge forms must be processed prior to the add deadline as stated in the Schedule of Classes (please note: the challenge process takes five working days to complete). Challenges filed after this deadline will be considered for the following semester. If space is available in a course when a student files a challenge to the prerequisite or corequisite, the student will be allowed to enroll into the course during the challenge process. If the challenge is approved or the college fails to resolve the challenge within 5 working days, the student shall be allowed to remain in the course. If the challenge is denied, the student will be
notified and dropped administratively. If no space is available in the course when a challenge is filed and approved, the student shall be permitted to enroll for the following semester.
3. Students need to complete the challenge form, attach appropriate documentation and take the form to the Chair and/or Vice Chair of the department through which the course in question is being offered.
4. The Department Chair and/or Vice Chair will approve or deny the challenge. If the Chair and/or Vice Chair is the instructor of the course that the student wishes to enter, then the Chair and/or Vice Chair will identify another faculty member in the discipline to review and approve the challenge form.
- Once the challenge is approved/denied and signed, the Chair and/or Vice Chair of the department or designated faculty member will return the form to the Matriculation Coordinator.
- The Matriculation Coordinator will contact the student of the results of the challenge.
- If the challenge is approved, the student will be given a course placement authorization that the student will take to Admissions along with the necessary add form for processing.
5. If the challenge is denied, the student may appeal the decision to the Vice President of Academic Affairs. Notification of the appeal decision will be sent to the student within 5 working days after its receipt.