Minutes of the March 7th, 1996 Meeting

Attending: Julie Ruelas, Joanne Kalter-Flink, Geri Shapiro, Penny Young, Sally Silvers, Ed Raskin, David Jones, Enrique Gonzalez, Rick Scuderi, Paul Kubicki, Alex Yguado, Dale Newman, Gwen Walker, Gerald Sheib, Yolanda Ramil, Dudley Foster, Edgardo Zayas, Harlan Goldberg.

  1. The meeting was called to order at 1:45pm by President Dale Newman.
  2. Minutes of 2/1/96 were examined. Item 8A was not accepted as written. Section numbers and wording are to be clarified at the next meeting with the help of the parliamentarian. Item 9C was amended to read ". . . The positions will be used to help provide research and development to all faculty, staff and administrative areas of the college . . ." MSP (Unanimous) to accept the minutes except for item. 8A.
  3. Treasurer's Report. Currently the Senate accounts have the following balances:
  4.       Faculty Scholarship          0322-5350-89  $ 481.97
          Faculty Association          0311-0030-16  $ 877.34
          Gallagher Scholarship        0322-5500-13  $ 15.07
          Moss Scholarship        0311-5101-43  $ 3,093.37
          Bowman Scholarship           0322-0001-26  $16,213.23
    
  5. Acting President Norlund introduced the new Associate Dean of Student Services, Mr. James Russell, who briefly addressed the members of the Senate. Mr. Russell spoke of his experience at Trade Tech and emphasized that he was an AS officer on that campus at one time. He also emphasized a spirit of cooperation among all areas of the college.
  6. Public Address - no report. This agenda item required by the Brown Act.
  7. President's Report
    1. DAS Executive Board - Dale Newman reports that the DAS passed a motion that the Board of Trustees authorize college presidents and the Chancellor to act a designees on all shared governance matters until such time as there is a formal District Shared Governance policy. This is important to ensure that our shared governance agreements with the college president are valid agreements. This motion was sent to the Board.
    2. The Executive Board recommended that a vote of no confidence be passed passed against the Acting Vice-chancellor, Vickie Richardt. This will be addressed at the next DAS meeting.

      Another motion that will be considered at the next meeting is that the DAS will not collaborate with the Board of Trustees until consultation is begun regarding a formal governance agreement.

    3. The Trimester Forum will be held on March 12th in room 5 at 2:00pm. Kenneth Gavilan is planning to present the survey results. Marty Hittleman is planning to present state- wide issues and Leon Marzillier will respond to questions. Model calendars will be available for faculty to peruse.
    4. Permanent President Selection Committee will meet next Monday to select the candidates. The interviews will take place after Spring Break.
  8.  
    1. The file cabinets in the Senate office are painted. Dale requested volunteers to spent one day over Spring Break to help get the files in order.
    2. The President's Executive Council met. Budget issues were the dominant theme of the meeting.
    3. A candidate for the new PACE Director position was selected and the name submitted to the President. An announcement will be made next week.
    4. A notice was put in the President's Bulletin regarding the openning for the Instructional Improvement Coordinator position. So far there seems to be no full-time, permanent faculty interested in filling the position.
    5. The Graduation Committee so far consists of Leslie Milke, Sonia Soto-Bair, Maria Fenyes, and Joanne Kalter-Flink.
  9. Committee Report
    1. The Constitution will be revisited for any possible changes. The Constitution Committee consists of Alex Yguado, Paul Kubicki, Ralph La Rosa and Dale Newman.
    2. Enrique Gonzales explained that minimum qualifications remain a primary concern of the District Curriculum Committee. The Committee sends its recommendations to the Educational Policy Advisory Committee (EPAC), which then sends its own findings onto the DAS. This process has taken 3 to 4 years. EPAC consists of the presidents of each AS or their representatives. Some minimum qualifications had to be placed on hold because of affirmative action problems. However, the main problem is that no one seems to know whether the District is still using the old qualification criteria or has adopted the new minimum quals. This may be due to the fact that our District has no formal Shared Governance Agreement to formalize this process. A major meeting will be held with all disciplines to determine whether to just adhere to the State minimum quals, redo minimum qualifications District-wide, or other suggestions to be determined. This meeting will be held in April. Representation of your discipline at that meeting is very important. Dale will let us know the exact date of the meeting when she finds out.
    3. The Hiring Committee met once and will meet again. The Committee continues to work on a Hiring Policy document.
    4. Nominations are needed for up-coming scholarships. Look in the President's Bulletin for criteria.
    5. The DAS report was attached to the March 7th agenda which was distributed to the faculty.
    6. Joanne Kalter-Flink reported that a meeting of the Academic Rank Committee was held on February 29th. The Committee is acting on the applications it has received. Some faculty did not receive the applications because of a mix-up in the mailroom. Joanne urged each applicant to be sure the District has on record all the units you have earned.
  10. Old Business
    1. The Use of Space in Campus Center Resolution was attached to the agenda of March 7th and the resolution was noticed at the meeting.
    2. Alex Yguado will work on writing a resolution that will be noticed at our next meeting regarding a process for filling all vacant positions.
  11. New Business
    1. Harlan Goldberg mentioned some incidents involving alleged infringements of student and faculty rights by campus security throughout the District. Harlan will work on writing a resolution involving the possible formation of a campus monitoring committee composed, at least in part, of faculty members. The resolution will be noticed at the next meeting.
    2. CSUN's Student Panels for an International Curriculum and Education can visit your classes and discuss an academic topic that you give to them in advance. This is a great opportunity to enrich your class presentation. See Dale Newman for further information.
    3. Some concern was mentioned over the lack of a lunch truck. A representative from the Campus Development Committee may be invited to the next meeting to discuss the status of the lunch truck in our campus parking lot.
    4. There being no new business, MSP (Yguado, Kubicki - unanimous) to adjourn the meeting. Meeting adjourned at 2:50pm.

      Respectfully submitted,

      Rick Scuderi, PhD
      Academic Senate Secretary