Minutes of the September 7, 1995, Meeting

Attending: John Klitsner, Leslie Milke, Enrique Gonzalez, Dudley Foster, Yolanda Ramil, Gerald Shieb, John Cantley, Lee Musgrave, Sally Silvers, Mari Rettke, Chuck Ackurneck, Geri Shapiro, Sandi Lampert, Louie Zandalasini, Sonia Soto-Bair, Joanne Kalter-Flink, Mark Pracher, Alex Yguado, Julie Ruelas, Ed Raskin, Harlan Goldberg, Dale Newman, Rick Scuderi, Gwen Walker, Ian Lewis.

  1. The meeting was called to order at 1:40 pm by President Dale Newman.
  2. Minutes of 4/6/95 were examined: Curriculum Committee report added; "Odyssey" spelling corrected; time-line for Ethics Statement vote briefly discussed. MSP (Ruelas, Foster - 25 yes, 0 no, 1 abst.) to approve minutes of 5/4/95.
  3. Treasurer's Report. Currently the Senate accounts have the following balances:
  4.       Faculty Scholarship     0322-5350-89 $ 475.19
          Faculty Association     0311-0030-16 $ 561.69
          Gallagher Scholarship   0322-5500-13 $ 14.87
          Moss Scholarship   0311-5101-43 $3,082.68
          Bowman Scholarship      0322-0001-26 $6,055.28
  5. Acting College President, Dr. Bill Norlund, addressed the Academic Senate concerning the many administrative and faculty positions to be filled. In particular he focused on the interim vice-President of academic affairs and the permanent college president positions. Regarding the filling of other positions he emphasized three main concerns: the Hiring Committee's priority lists, how many positions the College can afford to hire, and affirmative action considerations. A question and answer period followed Dr. Norlund's address.
  6. President's Report
    1. The District Academic Senate has allocated $1000 for each college's Academic Senate to spend as it sees fit. Some ideas discussed were internet for the faculty office computers, a FAX machine for the faculty offices, toner for the Xerox machine, and so on. Further ideas will be discussed at the next meeting.
    2. Faculty ID cards with academic rank included was an idea not well received. Dale will carry this message back to the DAS.

      DAS and AFT will sponsor a joint workshop on sexual harrasement.

      Spangler, Ireland, and Holt from LACC proposed mandatory a 54 hour course "Introduction to Teaching", but DAS complains that no input was received from faculty. After brief discussion it was determined that the members of LAMC's faculty are not in favor of it.

    3. Concerning the interim Vice President selection, 9 applicants have applied with interviews slated for September 26th and/or September 27th. A list of faculty appointments and alternatives have been distributed.
    4. Concerning the permanent President Selection Committee, 20 persons are included to represent all phases of LAMC's faculty, staff and students. Time lines have not been set up yet. Lee Musgrave, Alex Yguado, and Paul Dillon are developing a pamphlet advertizing the position. The cluster system and the fact that other campus vacancies exist will be mentioned in the pamphlet.
    5. Mari Rettke is working on having E-mail access for all faculty. E-mail is available in the cluster offices but not all faculty are on the list to receive E-mail. Mari may be offering in-service classes on E-mail access in the near future. Mari has also volunteered to participate in a Rand Corporation survey.
    6. Our new Senate office is now located in the South Atrium. A student of Sherrill Frank's is currently helping with clerical duties. The computer will have a network card soon. Currently the office is in process of being organized.
    7. Lee Risemberg and Yolanda Ramil are now mentors in the Project Match project. The Project Match Steering Committee is in need of volunteers. the Committee meets September 13th, September 27th, and October 19th.
    8. MSP (Ruelas, Yguado - Unanimous) to accept Sonia Soto-Bair as interim Senator to fill out Allen Munsack's term as Cluster B Senator.
    9. Regarding Instructional Improvement, Mark Pracher will spearhead this effort through the January time frame. Alex Yguado and Gwen Walker volunteered to help him.
  7. Committee Reports
    1. Enrique Gonzalez reports that the next meeting of the Curriculum Committee will be September 28th.
    2. A brief discussion was held as to whether the Constitution should be amended to include part-timers into the Senate. It was decided not to pursue this at this time. A resolution can be drawn up and signatures gotten if there is a need to revisit the issue.
    3. The Hiring Committee met in May and prioritized a list of positions. The Committee will meet again but no date has been set as yet. A discussion was held regarding the importance of meeting soon.
    4. DAS Report - see attachment to minutes.
  8. Old Business
    1. David Jones encouraged the adoption of an ethics statement. Based on such a statement an Ethics Committee could be formed and procedures established. We then could deal with alleged faculty and/or student misconduct on our own without soliciting outside consultation. A current draft of the Ethics Statement will be examined by Julie Ruelas, David Jones, Mari Rettke and Dale Newman. A document will be disseminated at the next meeting for further examination.
    2. Sonia Soto-Bair, Rick Scuderi and Enrique Gonzalez volunteered to be included on the Student Advocate Panel to deal with student grievances. MSP (Yguado, Silvers - Unanimous) to include the above three on the Panel.
  9. New Business
    1. The faculty convention and conference attendance budget is $6,144. MSP (Scuderi, Ruelas - Unanimous) to increase from $100 to $150 the amount given to each faculty member for convention and/or conference attendance. Often at the end of the year there are monies still remaining in this budget.
    2. ICAN Program Reviews will begin this semester. The outcome of these reviews will drive the Master Plan and Accreditation Report.
    3. The DAS Governance Draft copies are located in the faculty lounge and cluster offices. If there are any comments or criticisms, let Dale know.
    4. Copies of the Chancellor's Reorganization Plan are located in the faculty lounge and cluster offices also. Again, let Dale know if you have any comments.
    5. Lee Musgrave addressed the Administration Reorganization/Faculty Ratio issue. Lee commented that the vice president of academic affairs position and the cluster chairs positions may be redundant.
    6. Lee went on to say that he had heard from John Mcdowell and Mary Mondell that there might be an agreement in the offing between the Union and the District to eliminate the Cluster System. Ed Raskin doubts this. It was suggested that Leon Marzillier be invited to our next meeting to address this.
    7. Dale suggested that it would be nice to have a Senate logo. examples of some logos can be examined in the Faculty Senate office.
    8. No other new business was presented.

    MSP (Silvers, Ruelas - Unanimous) to adjourn the meeting. Meeting adjourned at 3:15 pm.

    Respectfully submitted,

    Rick Scuderi, PhD
    Academic Senate Secretary



    Date: 8/31/95
    
     To: Dale Newman, Academic Senate President
    
    From: Rick Scuderi, Academic Senate Secretary
    
    Subj: Desired Qualities of the Interim Vice-President of Academic Affairs as Discussed
          During the 8/29/95 Emergency Meeting of the Academic Senate
    
    
    The following is an unranked list of desired qualities of the Interim Vice-President of Academic
    Affairs as composed during the 8/29/95 emergency meeting of the Academic Senate:
    
    
     A solid teaching background.
    
     An understanding of the history of Mission College.
    
     Understands and believes in Shared Governance, participatory and
     consensus management.
    
     Has a demonstrated track record of listening well and arbitrating
     effectively.
    
     Has effective interpersonal skills.
    
     Is fair and impartial ("makes no deals").
    
     Has experience in student support with students with diverse
     backgrounds.
    
     Believes that faculty and students come first.