Gaining Early Awareness & Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (GEARUP)
- GearUp is an exiting new program that helps many disadvantaged students prepare for the road to college starting, in the middle school grades. We know that students who are prepared to go to college or to receive technical training beyond high school have far more options for the future.
- GearUp understands that high-achieving students from low-income families are five times less likely to attend college than high-achieving students from high-income families. They are often unaware of sources of financial help for college, and do not know how important it is to take rigorous academic classes to be fully prepared for education beyond high school.
- Our mission is to increase the number of students going on to higher education, and ensure that they are academically prepared to move forward.
- The support needed is provided from Los Angeles Mission College students who work as tutors and mentors at local middle schools in English and Mathematics. Los Angeles Mission College supplies tutors to San Fernando, Maclay, Pacoima, and Olive Vista Middle School. In all, our program has helped tutor more than a thousand students and provide information regarding the importance and accessibility of college to their families.
- In the year 2001-2002, over 100 trained tutors from Los Angeles Mission College have worked in the GearUp Program.
- Help Your Community Work up to 20 hours a week.
- Earn 4 college units for your job experience with the Cooperative Education Program.
- Math 115
- English 28
- Enrollment as a full-time student
- 2.0 Grade Point Average minimum
SALARY: $8.11 an hour
- Mentor and tutor at Olive Vista Middle School, San Fernando Middle School, Pacoima Middle School, Maclay Middle School or Sylmar High
- Tutor students in classroom setting and/or one on one
For more information, please call:
Alan De La Vara @ (818) 364-7600 x 7139 or Isabel Batres (818) 364-7774
Visit us downstairs at the Campus Center. Across from the Assessment Office