Graphic showing Los Angeles Mission College's name and college logo.  Also included is a small photo of the campus quad and lawn.

Los Angeles Mission College > Veteran Affairs

Veteran Affairs Office

Executive Order 13607

Veteran Handbook 2014

The Veterans Program acts as liaison between Veterans and the VA in processing and obtaining their educational benefits such as:

  • G.I. Bill:
  • Dependent Benefits

The Veterans Office staff assist Veterans and Dependents of Veterans with:

  • Registration and enrollment process
  • Completing VA forms and applications
    forms are in Adobe Acrobat format

General G.I. Bill Information:


Active Duty GI Bill Eligibility

General Eligibility

  • You must have first enlisted on or after July 1, 1985
  • You must have had a pay reduction of $1,200.00
  • You must have had continuous active duty equal to or greater than your initial enlistment period
  • Some VEAP participants were able to convert to the GI Bill during special conversion programs

Special rules for early discharges                                             

Persons who were discharged early for:                                                         

  • reduction in force
  • disability
  • hardship
  • a physical or mental condition which interfered with duty
  • a medical condition which existed prior to service

are eligible for GI Bill entitlement for a time period that is the same as the number of months served.

Persons discharged for Convenience of the Government must serve 20 months of a 2 year enlistment or 30 months of a 3 year enlistment to be eligible for GI Bill benefits


 Reserve GI Bill Eligibility


There are two reserve GI Bills, Chapter 1606 for regular drilling reservists and Chapter 1607 for reservists who have had extended mobilizations after September 11, 2001. The eligibility differs for each program, basic eligibility requirements are:

Chapter 1606:

  • Must be an active drilling reservist                                               
  • Completed IADT
  • High School Diploma or Equivalent                                                                                   
  • Good standing in your unit        
  • Remain in a drilling status
  • Have at least a 6 year obligation


Chapter 1607 - all of the above qualifications apply - PLUS:

  • You must have performed full time active duty service for at least 90 consecutive days after 9/11/01


Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

Benefit Description

Dependents' Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.




You must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:                   

  • A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result
    of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
  • A veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence.
  • A servicemember missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
  • A servicemember forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
  • A servicemember who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective December 23, 2006.

Period of Eligibility

If you are a son or daughter and wish to receive benefits for attending school or job training, you must be between the ages of 18 and 26. In certain instances, it is possible to begin before age 18 and to continue after age 26. Marriage is not a bar to this benefit. If you are in the Armed Forces, you may not receive this benefit while on active duty. To pursue training after military service, your discharge must not be under dishonorable conditions. VA can extend your period of eligibility by the number of months and days equal to the time spent on active duty. This extension cannot generally go beyond your 31st birthday, there are some exceptions.

If you are a spouse, benefits end 10 years from the date VA finds you eligible or from the date of death of the veteran.

For surviving spouses (spouses of servicemembers who died on active duty) benefits end 20 years from the date of death.

How to Apply

You should make sure that your selected program is approved for VA training. If you are not clear on this point, VA will inform you and the school or company about the requirements.

Obtain and complete VA Form 22-5490, Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance. Send it to the VA regional office with jurisdiction over the State where you will train. If you are a son or daughter, under legal age, a parent or guardian must sign the application.

If you have started training, take your application to your school or employer. Ask them to complete VA Form 22-1999, Enrollment Certification, and send both forms to VA.


Los Angeles Mission College Welcomes Concurrent Enrollment

Concurrent Enrollment are students currently enrolled at other college/universities are welcome to take courses at LAMC with the permission of their current educational institution.

Concurrent Enrolled Students must:

          Apply for admissions with the office of Admissions and Records.

          Report to the Veteran Student Office to turn in your Parent School Letter.

          Complete a concurrent enrollment application and request for benefits.

          You may download and mail all original forms.


To save time when visiting our office,
complete these forms ahead of time.

Just follow these easy steps:

CHAPTER 30: New Students who are prior active duty or reservists who rate the GI Bill.







If you are a transferring student from another school with a active duty or reservist background.






Survivors or dependents of a Veteran who are applying as new students






Survivors or dependents of a Veteran who are applying as transferring students from another school.



1) Download VA Forms from
2) Print Out
3) Fill In
4) Sign all Forms
5) Complete all forms and bring them to the Veterans Office

6) You may also complete the VA Forms on line at: and bring a copy to the office.
7) Download the Concurrent Enrollment form here.

  • Serving as a liaison between student, faculty, and staff in regard to personal or academic problems.
  • Degrees offered: Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Certificate, and Transfer Credit to a four-year institution. Disciplines | Degrees, Certificates and Transfer Info

Helpful websites:



Office Hours: Mon-Fri 8am-4:30pm

We are located in the campus services Building next to the bookstore.

Veteran's Office

Georgia M. Estrada
Director, Veteran Affairs





2000 - 2007 | Veteran Affairs | All rights reserved.