What is Academic Probation?
Academic probation can occur if you have less than a cumulative 2.0 GPA when attempting 12 or more units. You will be removed from academic probation status once your overall GPA is a 2.0 or above.
What is Progress Probation?
Progress probation can occur if you attempt 12 or more units and "W", "I" and "NC" units reach or exceed half the cumulative units attempted. You will be removed from progress probation status when the cumulative number of "W", "I" and "NC" units recorded is less than half the cumulative units attempted.
Consequences of Academic/Progress Probation
- Suspension of Financial Aid
- Limited to 12 units per semester
- Sequential classes with substandard grades must be repeated. For example, if you do not pass English 101, you must repeat this course with grade C or better before you can take English 102 or 103
- Expenses for repeating classes to raise GPA
- Graduation and/or transfer delays or complications
Academic/Progress Probation Dismissal
You may face dismissal if you are on Academic or Progress Probation for three consecutive semesters.
How Do I Get Off Probation?
- Repeat the courses you did not pass
- Fill out the Petition for Repeated Coursework and submit to Admissions & Records. Only courses taken within the Los Angeles Community College District can be used to remove substandard grades. Submit this form even if you have two substandard grades.
- Petition for Academic Renewal. This will remove substandard grades from your GPA without repeating them. You can remove a maximum 30 units of coursework.
Requirements for Academic Renewal
- One semester must have passed since the courses were taken
- Minimum 2.0 GPA in last 12 consecutive units
- Must have all transcripts from other colleges/universities on file with Admissions & Records
- It is highly recommended that students speak to a counselor prior to completing this process.
- Tutoring http://www.lamission.edu/LearningCenter/Home.aspx
- Workshops email@example.com
- Learning Resources Center (LRC) http://www.lamission.edu/LearningCenter/Home.aspx
- Reading, Writing, and Math Labs in the Learning Resource Center (lower levels) http://www.lamission.edu/Library/Home.aspx
Classes Designed To Help You Succeed
Counseling 4 - Career Planning (1 unit)
Counseling 17 - College Survival Skills (1 unit)
Counseling 22 - The Transfer Process (1 unit)
Counseling 40 - College Success Seminar (3 units)
***If you are on Academic or Progress Probation, or have been Dismissed from LAMC, send an email to
Video chat on Cranium Cafe with King, Cedric P
firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for an online group workshop.
You may also schedule a one on one appointment with our At-Ready Counselor.
***If you have lost your Financial Aid due to Academic/Progress Probation, please visit